Tuesday 27 April 2010

Is Jesus Pitchfork Approved?

A friend recently gave me a copy of Douglas Moo’s Encountering Romans.

It got me thinking: there’s a surprising amount of good theological (or at least quasi-biblical) allusion going on in Pitchfork-approved bands - given that Christianity is pretty much the cardinal sin for hipsters.

A brief selection:

Anything by Sufjan Stevens (hello Seven Swans/Songs for Christmas)

Wolf Parade: “What makes a sinner serve, unless he knows you’re alive?” (cf. Romans 1:4)

Surfer Blood:

Forget the second coming

I need you in the here and now

Instead of dreaming up a way to spread your name across the world somehow

When you told me you were leaving

I wasn’t thirsty for revenge

No I wasn’t disappointed much at all

Coz you’ll be back again

No comments:

Post a Comment